Current Affairs: List of documents exchanged during the visit of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan to India in New Delhi on December 12, 2015.
1. Memorandum concerning the Agreement on Cooperation in the Peaceful Uses of Nuclear Energy: Both sides confirmed reached agreement on the Agreement for cooperation in the peaceful uses of nuclear energy.
2. MoC on High Speed Railways: This Memorandum confirms cooperation on developing Mumbai – Ahmedabad high speed rail corridor using of Japanese high speed rail technologies with financial and technical assistance from Japan.
3. Agreement concerning transfer of Defence Equipment and Technology Cooperation: This Agreement provides a framework to enhance defence and security cooperation by making available to each other, defence equipment and technology necessary to implement joint research, development and/or production projects or projects.
4. Agreement concerning security measures for the protection of classified military information: This Agreement ensures the reciprocal protection of classified military information transmitted to each other, provided that the terms of protection are consistent with the national laws and regulations of the Receiving Party.
5. Agreement on Amendment Protocol of Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement: This Agreement amends the Convention between India and Japan for the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to Taxes on Income, signed in 1989. It will stimulate effective exchange of information including banking information between India and Japan. It will act as a deterrent and help in reducing tax avoidance and evasion and will also enable assistance in collection of taxes between India and Japan.
6. MoC between Ministry of Railways and MLIT on Technological Cooperation in Rail Sector: This Memorandum establishes areas for comprehensive technological cooperation including sharing of information and best practices; exchanges of officials and technicians; facilitating the participation of other institutions, organizations and ministries; conducting joint research and studies.
7. MoU on technological cooperation between Research Designs and Standards Organization (RDSO) and Japan Railway Technical Research Institute (JRTRI): This Memorandum proposes to cooperate in the areas of safety in train operation; advanced techniques of maintenance; use of environment friendly technologies, etc.
8. Letter of Intent on the Strategic International Cooperative Program between Department of Science and Technology of India and the Japan Science and Technology Agency: The Program promotes and supports collaborative activities, such as joint research projects, joint research Laboratories and hub, joint seminars, symposia and other scientific meetings between the research institutes and researchers supported by JSTA and DST. The research fields for such activities are the Functional Applications of Physical Sciences in Information and Communication Technology (including Internet of Things, Artificial Intelligence and Big Data Analysis).
9. Letter of Intent toward establishing a young researcher’s exchange program between the Department of Science and Technology of India and the Japan Society for the promotion of Science: The document intends to establish reciprocal Fellowship program for capacity building and human resource development in frontier areas of Science & Technology; developing connectivity and new networks between the next generation of scientific leadership in India and Japan; and promoting cultural fraternity and immersion through people-to- people ties.
10. MoC between Central Drugs Standard Control Organization and Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare of Japan on Medical Products Regulation Dialogue and Cooperation Framework: The Memorandum establishes the Medical Products Regulation Dialogue and Cooperation Framework to facilitate a constructive dialogue in areas pertinent to raw materials for pharmaceutical use, biological products, medical devices, quasi-drugs, cosmetic products, and the relevant administrative and regulatory matters within the jurisdiction of the two Sides.
11. MoC in the field of Education between Ministry of Human Resource Development and Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan: The Memorandum encourages development of contacts and cooperation between the educational institutions of the two countries and possible support for exchange of aspiring students between India and Japan.
12. Statement of Intent between NITI Aayog and Institute of Energy Economics, Japan (IEEJ): This SOI lays down the broad mission of promoting cooperation between NITI Aayog and IEEJ for the purpose of analysing issues related to energy sector in order to examine and understand various energy sector related issues in the world such as resource availability, production, consumption, sectoral demands, local and global environmental impacts and implications of changes in energy prices and technology.
13. MoU on cooperation between State Government of Andhra Pradesh and Toyama Prefecture: The Memorandum strengthens existing bonds between the Andhra Pradesh and Toyama by facilitating mutual collaboration between their governments, institutions, and companies in the interest areas of economic exchange; pharmaceutical production industry; cultural exchange; tourism exchange; person-to-person and academic exchange.
14. MoU between State Government of Kerala and Lake Nakaumi, Lake Shinji & Mt. Daisen area Mayors Association: Under the Memorandum, Kerala and the Sanin region, Japan agree to develop trade, investment and economic relations between the business circles of with particular focus on small and medium enterprises.
15. MoU between Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIMA) and National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS): The Memorandum promotes collaboration between the two institutions to enrich the intellectual environment of both. The areas of cooperation envisaged are identifying opportunities for academic exchange and collaboration; mutual assistance in the preparation of seminars, conferences and workshops; visits by authorized officials from each institution to develop cooperative mechanisms and expand areas of cooperation.
16. MoC in the field of forests and forestry between Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, India and Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Japan: The Memorandum endeavours to enhance cooperation in human resource development and institutional exchange between training institutes; sustainable forest management; enhancement of forest conservation and forest disaster prevention; conservation of biodiversity; effective utilization of forest resources; exchange of relevant policies on forests and forestry and technologies; and research and development in forestry sector.