Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Government of India has set up a High Level Committee to enquire into the sequence of events leading to the stranding of ONGC vessels in the cyclone “Taukte”. Several vessels of ONGC with more than 600 people on board, were stranded in offshore areas during cyclone “Tauktae”. The stranding, drifting and subsequent events have led to loss of several lives.
The Committee, comprising of Shri Amitabh Kumar, Director General of Shipping, Shri S.C.L. Das, Director General of Hydrocarbons, and Smt. NazliJafriShayin, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Defence, has been constituted to inquire into the incidents. The Committee may co-opt any other member, and take assistance of any person it deems necessary.The Committee shall submit its report within one month.
The Terms of Reference of the Committee are:
- To Inquire into the sequence of events leading to the stranding and drifting of these vessels, and subsequent events.
- Whether the warnings issued by Meteorological Department and other statutory authorities were adequately considered and acted upon.
- Whether the Standard Operating Procedures for securing the vessels and dealing with disaster management were adequately followed.
- Lapses and gaps in the systems leading to the stranding and drifting of the vessels.
- Recommendations to prevent recurrence of such incidents.