The Monitoring Committee constituted by the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change for overseeing outbreak of H5N8 avian influenza, reviewed the control and containment of the avian influenza situation.
The control and containment measures of avian influenza in the affected zoos are being continued, which include:
1. Surveillance continues and the zoo is being screened regularly for any dead Bird.
2. Bio-security measures being strictly enforced.
3. National Zoological Park, Delhi, Gandhi Zoological Park, Gwalior and AN Jha Deer Park, Hauz Khas, Delhi remained closed for the safety of visitors and control of the disease.
4. A team of doctors from Animal Husbandry Department visited Delhi Zoo for monitoring.
5. A medical doctor visited and examined exposed employees of the zoo and medication was provided.
6. Pelicans kept with the Painted storks in Gandhi Zoological Park, Gwalior have been kept in quarantine and all of them are in good health.
7. The samples from other birds of the Gandhi Zoological Park, Gwalior were sent to the National Institute for High Security Animal Diseases (NIHSAD), Bhopal. The report of the same is still awaited.
8. A team of scientists from National Institute of Virology (NIV) Pune, Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR Institute) visited the zoo today and collected samples.