According to the National Weather Forecasting Centre of the India Meteorological Department (IMD):
Under the influence of an active Western Disturbance and associated induced cyclonic circulation, light to moderate scattered to widespread rainfall occurred over Western Himalayan Region and light isolated rainfall over adjoining plains during 11 to 13 March, 2021. Isolated heavy rainfall also occurred over Jammu & Kashmir on 12 March, 2021.
• Due to cyclonic circulation/trough over central parts of country, light to moderate isolated/scattered rain/thundershower occurred over central India during past week (11 to 17 March, 2021).
• Rainfall activity over India as a whole was 34% below Long Period Average (LPA) during past week.
• Under the influence of an intense Western Disturbance, scattered to widespread rainfall likely over the Western Himalayan Region and isolated to scattered light to moderate rainfall over adjoining plains of Northwest India during 21st – 24th March, 2021. Isolated heavy rainfall/snowfall also likely over the Western Himalayan Region on 22nd & 23rd March, 2021.
• Isolated to scattered rainfall with thunderstorm, lightning and gusty winds (speed reaching 30-40 kmph) very likely over Madhya Pradesh, Vidharbha and Chhattisgarh till 21st March, 2021. Isolated hailstorm also very likely over West Madhya Pradesh and Vidharbha on 18th & 19th March; over East Madhya Pradesh on 19th March and over Marathawada and Telangana on 19th & 20th March, 2021.
• No significant heat wave conditions are likely over the country during next one week.
Forecast for next two week
Weather systems & associated Precipitation during Week 1 (18 to 24 March, 2021) and Week 2 (25 to 31 March, 2021)
Rainfall for week 1: (18 to 24 March, 2021)
Cumulatively, above normal rainfall likely over northwest & adjoining central India and extreme south Peninsular India; normal to above normal over many parts of north Peninsular India. It is likely to be below normal over remaining parts of the country (Annexure V).
Rainfall for week 2: (25 to 31 March, 2021)
- Due to absence of any active Western Disturbance, rainfall activity is likely to below normal over northern parts of the country. However due to trough/wind discontinuity at south Peninsular India, light to moderate rainfall with thunderstorm & lightening activity likely over south Peninsular India. Hence rainfall activity is likely to be normal to above normal over above area. It is likely to be below normal over remaining parts of the country (Annexure V).
Temperature for week 1 & 2: (18 to 31 March, 2021)
- No significant change in maximum temperatures over rest parts of the country during week 1.
- During week 2, due to likely dry weather over most parts of the country (outside south Peninsular India), the maximum temperatures are very likely to rise gradually over most parts of the country. Hence, normal to above normal maximum temperatures likely over northwest, east & northeast India. These are likely to be below normal by 2-3°C over south Peninsular & adjoining central India (Annexure VI).
(Please CLICK HERE for details in graphics)
[For details in Video-form:
Weather Review for past one week and Weather Forecast for next two weeks (Hindi) Dated 18.03.2021
Weather Review for past one week and Weather Forecast for next two weeks (English) Dated 18.03.2021
Kindly download MAUSAM APP for location specific forecast & warning, MEGHDOOT APP for Agromet advisory and DAMINI APP for Lightning Warning & visit state MC/RMC websites for district wise warning.