Current Affairs: South Africa’s president has appointed the Pravin Gordhan as his third finance minister within a week.
He replaces the little-known David van Rooyen who had only been in the job since few days.
Last week, President Jacob Zuma sacked previous Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene in a widely-criticised move that sent the rand to record lows and caused the stock market to tumble.
The developments come amid concern over South Africa’s struggling economy.
Who is Pravin Gordhan?
- Trained and worked as a pharmacist in Durban
- One of the main negotiators in the drafting of South Africa’s democratic constitution from 1991-1994
- Ran South Africa’s revenue service from 1999-2009
- Served as finance minister from 2009-2014
- Re-appointed finance minister in 2015